From Georgian to Victorian Milngavie
This series of 'walks' - using the 1841 to 1901 census' – will pass along the road that came to be called 'Main Street' in the 'Old Town'. Later in this series of articles we will continue on through the town to Station Road and its junction with Strathblane Road. Between 1795-1800 the new turnpike was built from Glasgow to Balfron, via Strathblane. This led to that part of the town being known as ‘New Town’. Before we begin to follow the enumerator, it is useful to say a little about the place before it became a village and then a small town.
Milngavie's Industrial Past (PDF)
All written/pictorial material created/produced by Diana Cameron-Shea/DC-S is Copyright © Diana Cameron-Shea 2016. All Rights Reserved